Friday, August 16, 2013

Small

It's Five Minute Friday again and today's topic is "small." So...here I GO:

When I see the word "small," my gut reaction is to deny any attachment to it. "Small" implies timidity. It evokes a feeling of weakness. Of meekness. Of unattractive humility. A relinquishing of power. A submission to something bigger.

But there can be such beauty in submission. Such beauty in recognizing daily that the Creator of the universe, the Maker of the heavens, holds each of my moments in His hand. And that is not weakness. In fact, it's where I'm learning to find my strength. 

When I'm paying bills and creatively maneuvering money around to make it all work, I can rest. My Heavenly Father is BIG enough to meet our every need, every day, every month, every time. 

When I feel defeated and guilty as the sun sets on another day because I lost my cool and hurled hurtful words at my children again, I can rest in His GRACE because His mercies are new in the morning.

When I'm feeling stir crazy and selfish and eager to find a more "glamorous" use of my talents, I can humbly rest is His WISDOM because He is working all things together for my good and His timing is always perfect.

If I could simply embrace my "smallness," if I could live like I truly believe that His power is made perfect in my weakness, then I could stop running and start resting in His presence. I could stop worrying about my size and focus on my Savior. 

Until we stop chasing personal glory, we will continue to miss the point: abundantly blessed living comes only from dying to ourselves so that we can live largely for our God. 

Lord, help me remember your greatness. Help me embrace the power of your presence. Thank you for loving me despite my tendency to stray from your truth. And thank you for loving me with a love that out-sizes my biggest fears. Please keep me small so that my faith in you continues to grow. In Jesus' name we pray-Amen. 

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! God is good all the time and you are so right that resting in His presence is key!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't let me leave the post from my wordpress account for whatever reason. fulfillingtodayfortomorrow.wordpress.com

      Delete
  2. Wow, Megan, that was simply beautiful! So much wisdom there. Blessings are just washing over me with this post. Thank you for the words and the imagery!

    ReplyDelete